Chrome moly and normalization

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Chrome moly and normalization
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:36:21 -0700
There has been a lot of talk about the various methods of welding; MIG, TIG
and OA.  During those discussions I picked up on an issue I've heard others
talk about; welding chrome moly tubing and normalizing it after welding.
Can someone enlighten me on this?  Here is what I think I've heard.  After
welding chrome moly tubing the tubing needs to be normalized.  The
normalization process consists of heating and cooling the chrome moly .

Here are my questions.

Is normalization required after any method of welding?  MIG, TIG, or OA?

Is normalization required just around the weld?

Can you weld chrome moly tubing with MIG and normalize the welded area with
OA?

If the previous statement is true, how much heat is required to normalize,
and how much of the area needs to be heated?

These questions are a result of my plans to build a roll cage for a vintage
race car.  I've been told the weight savings of using chrome moly would not
out-weigh the issues around having to normalize the cage after welding.

I have a source for some chrome moly tubing that would allow me to purchase
it for nearly the price of new mild steel tubing.  This makes the chrome
moly tubing an attractive alternative to mild steel.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hoy