Re: drill doctoring with the Drill Doctor

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: drill doctoring with the Drill Doctor
From: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:34:21 -0800 (PST)
Beware of trying to sharpen larger drills which in my case
means over about 1/2".

I've got the 750 model. Works fine on smaller drills and
once you have one you always work with sharp drills!

However when I first got it I could not sharpen the larger
drills. They looked fine but didn't cut because the heel
ended up higher then the cutting edge.In other words the
cutting edge simply didn't touch whatever you were trying
to drill.

After several calls to helpful people on their 800 line,
and after trying several things myself between calls, I
finally got a superhelpful guy who admitted that what I was
doing was probably the best for bigger drills. So - what I
do is -

Grind the heels of larger drills by hand (on a normal bench
grinder) making sure that there will be plenty of clearance
- you don't need to be an expert - just use care and
commonsense. Then finish the cutting edge in the Drill
Doctor. Works for me. Now I'm a happy, smiling, singing
drill doctorer.

Possibly later models have corrected this. This was a
couple of years ago.