Siping (on street tires)?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Siping (on street tires)?
From: Traci Pearson <pearsontechcomm@frii.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:18:49 -0700
I was just thinking about tire grip and the fact that tires with the most
grip are slicks. They have the most possible surface area, right?

If you go buy tires now, the deal want to "sipe" your tires: cut small
slits all over the tread. They say it creates more grip on the road.

I don't know of any solid evidence for or against this practice. But my
common sense says that the more whole, flat "pieces" of rubber you have
against the road, the better your grip is going to be. Look at high-end
performance tires; they have fewer and fewer grooves in them, more flat,
whole rubber against the road.

Does anyone have any thoughts on siping? Does anyone know of any studies or
solid evidence that prove or disprove its value?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design  Print and Online
pearsontechcomm@frii.com
(303) 410-9101