Re: Mixture woes

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Subject: Re: Mixture woes
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:37:46 -0500
On Aug 23, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> (1) Can the outer choke be flooding liquid gasoline
> past the throttle plate, dribbling down into the
> plenum and being preferentially sucked into #1 and #4
> causing a grossly over-rich mixture while leaving the
> vapor-phase charge right for #2 and #3?

What's the fuel pressure?  I had a 32/36 DGV on a Land-Rover, and had
problems with it running rich when the fuel pressure was too high.  The
fuel inlet needle valve isn't very strongly pressed on the seat, and
more than 4 PSI or so is enough to push it open.  I'm not sure where
the excess fuel ends up leaving the carb and joining the mixture.  A
replacement fuel pressure regulator fixed that pretty easily.