Sound Deadening (was: Mounting a compressor)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Sound Deadening (was: Mounting a compressor)
From: Wayne <wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:56:55 -0400
At 02:03 PM 8/2/2004, you wrote:
>I'm not all that familiar with hockey pucks ..... I'd guess there'd be
>better materials to absorb vibration than the hard plastic they were made from.

Been meaning to ask...  There's a material called "sorbothane"
http://www.sorbothane.com/  that's supposed to be the greatest stuff for
sound and vibration absorption and deadening.  Was wondering if anyone had
experience with it to say if it lives up to the claims.

It's pretty expensive stuff - McMaster Carr has sheet material, but it's
$20 and up for not very big chunks.  It's probably too soft to support an
air compressor like your setup.  But I was thinking of sandwiching it
between MDF sheets for a washing machine support, or putting pads under my
A/C's outdoor coil unit.

   -Wayne