Re: CH compressor question

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CH compressor question
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:54:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Rush wrote:

> I knew most of this, except for the part about 15 amp limits through a
> conventional outlet. The new compressor was tripping my 15 amp breaker
> when it got to about 120 psi. I just got my electrician friend to quote
> me on rewiring my garage with duplex 20 amp circuits. Is there a special
> outlet sold that can handle this?

NEMA has standards that apply, which will determine which outlet you
should have at the end of your (presumably capable) wiring.

Just as an example, Leviton makes a great number of outlets which would
perform according to NEMA 5-20R, which is what you should have. Below is a
link to a page on Leviton's site which is one of their many lines of
recepticles:

http://www.leviton.com/sections/prodinfo/newprod/npleadin.htm

Hope this helps.

-Peter