RE: Air compressor head bolts

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air compressor head bolts
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:36:13 -0600
Thanks Bob.  Seems to me the hardened washer is a good idea. The blue
Loctite might be good too.  It appears the reason I had to replace the head
gasket was loose bolts.  I think air compressor head bolts are a neglected
item in my garage.  When's the last time you re-torqued yours? ;-)

The page on torque setting is a 'keeper'.  One thing that concerns me with
the torque spec is the material that the head bolts are in is aluminum.  I
think the typical setting might be a bit to much?

By the way, someone wrote me off list indicating they couldn't help me
unless I supplied more information.  That information would be:

5/16 - 18 grade 5 bolts
Dry
Aluminum 6061 alloy

Thanks again.