RE: complicated modern cars

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: complicated modern cars
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:10:30 -0700
> > Fire.  The anti-rollover devices make it difficult to safely remove
> > gasoline from a tank before removal.

Thanks for the explanation, David.  I had no trouble sticking a "Kentucky
credit card" down the fill pipe, so I guess my 89 Caravan didn't have the
safety device.

> I'll be the first to acknowledge that there are some dumb guys
> working in shops, but virtually all tanks these days have drains.

No drain on the Caravan, either.  I used a little Facet pump to suck out
most of the fuel, then changed the internal pump with several gallons still
in the tank.  But I worked outdoors with a breeze, so no chance of fume
buildup (and no idiot with a grinder working near me, either).

> Drained the tank, caught a quart in mid-stream, and it settled very
> nicely into roughly a third gasoline, a sixth water, a sixth alcohol
> and a third Florida red clay silt.

Good grief !  I wonder who hated him ?  Happened to my father-in-law a long
time ago ... somebody dumped a double handful of parking lot dirt into his
tank.  We went through a half-dozen fuel filters before it was cleaned up.

Randall