Re: Shallow well water pumps

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Shallow well water pumps
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:56:38 -0500
On May 30, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Bob Nogueira wrote:

> In looking over the specs of shallow well pumps they have a maximum
> lift
> and maximum suction rating.  I can see where the longer the lift the
> lower
> the output would be in gal per minute. Is this also true of suction?
> If I use a pump rated for 26 feet max suction at 24 feet, should I
> expect a
> very low pressure and flow rate?
> Thanks in advance
> Bob Nogueira

Yup.  Pumps usually have a table showing their performance at various
lifts and pressures, so you can pick on that meets your needs. It's
possible to build a suction pump with a second stage, that applies
pressure to the delivered water.  That costs money, though, (and the
common jet design is only good for about 18 feet) and the big advantage
of suction pump is that they're cheap.  Twenty-four feet is quite a lot
for a suction pump, I'd think.  Depending on what you want the water
for, (irrigation?  Around here, you wouldn't want to drink water out of
a shallow well.), you may be able to use a storage (possibly quite
large) tank and a second booster pump.