Re: GOOD Two-Line Cordless Phones?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GOOD Two-Line Cordless Phones?
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:55:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 May 2004, Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> So for the guys with cordless phones in their shops, two-line versions
> especially, what brands and models have you had the most luck with?
>
> I have a Panasonic cordless system right now, durability has been horrible
> and battery life of the cordless units is now in the 30 second per use
> range!  The unit is less than a year old and I realized it was junk about a
> month after I bought it.  The first time I dropped the handset on the shop
> floor the external antenna popped off and it has never fit right since.

I have never had good luck with Panasonic phones, though I do have friends
that like them.

> The reviews on Amazon aren't real kind to any cordless phone, every phone
> seems to have a very even mix of love it / hate it messages.  So it is hard
> to make a definitive choice.  I also don't want to waste my time with
> buying -> trying -> returning phones to my local stores.

I have had okay luck with Sony, and excellent luck with Uniden. The Uniden
900MHz digital spread spectrum dual-line I bought over 3 years ago has
been excellent, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It has a slot in
the base for a second battery (so you always have one charged, and if the
power goes out, it keeps going). It also has a speakerphone and keypad on
the base, so I can do conference calls or make a call on the second line
while the handset is on the first. Range has been good, and it is very
difficult to eavesdrop upon.

> What about the choices between 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies?

I would avoid 2.4GHz because of the congestion on that band (between
microwave ovens, 802.11/b/g, etc). 900MHz has been fine in my neighborhood
(and in my house, where I have a digital Sony 900MHz cordless and the
Uniden 900MHz digital spread spectrum cordless both on at the same time
with no trouble). I don't have much empirical data on the 5.8GHz phones,
but it will have inherently shorter range given the same power levels,
etc.

Uniden makes several 2-line cordless phones. The EXI2926 is 900MHz, but I
get the impression that it is analog. The 2.4GHz EXI3226 is 2.4GHz, but
also doesn't indicate digital. The TRU3466 is 2.4GHz (which might just
work fine for you), and is spread spectrum.

Friends of mine have a Siemens multi-handset system that is 2-line - but
the range on them (and lifespan of hte handsets) has been less than
stellar.

If you need a more rugged phone, you might do best with a single-line
handset that has a rubberized exterior. I know your experience with
Panasonic has been less than spectacular thus far, but consider the
"shock/splash resistant" KX-TG2216FV. Not dual-line, but it should take
some abuse. Comes in red too, so blood doesn't show up as well.

Now if only one of these capable manufacturers made a durable, 2-line
cordless, I'd consider replacing my single-line Sony, which is showing its
>5 years (though it is holding up). I suppose I should look through Best
Buy and see what's there...

Hope this was of some help.

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)