Re: Gasket making

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket making
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:36:30 -0500
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:50:26PM -0700, Wayne Farrington wrote:
> So, there I was, in my shop, rebuilding the carburetor on my riding lawn
> mower. I needed to make some quick gaskets for the carb to intake, and
> carb to airpipe joints. I realize I could just buy new gaskets, but for
> this type of thing I'd rather just make some gaskets out of gasket
> material.

I don't have any tricks for pattern-making, but I thought I'd mention
that you needn't use special gasket material.  I've never done it
myself, but I've watched people make gaskets out of cereal boxes
(waxed paperboard) more than once and they always seem to work fine.
Might save you a trip to the store.
--
Matt Liggett                mml@pobox.com        http://pobox.com/~mml
  | "[Pasteur said,] 'Luck favors the prepared mind.'  And I think |