Re: Rotospader Gear Lube

To: Laurence Davies <davies@123access.net>
Subject: Re: Rotospader Gear Lube
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:22:59 -0700
On Thursday, April 8, 2004, at 05:12 PM, Laurence Davies wrote:

> I was given a "Sear Craftsman Roto-Spader" (Rototiller) Model # 785
> 294030, which I suspect is at least 30 years old. It has a Tecumseh
> 143.237042, which is a 4hp - 4cycle engine. There is plenty of
> information on the engine, which I now have running, BUT what lube
> should I use in the gearbox?
> Thanks,
> Laurence Davies

Hi Laurence,

I have not seen any responses to your question, so here is some
information.

If the roto-spader uses a differential type of gear box I would suggest
using an oil designed for that type of operation, such as a 90 wt
hypoid (sp?) gear lube or the replacement oil for the contractor style
Skil saw (the worm gear driven type of saw) available at OSH or Sears.

If the gear box is not a differential type of gear box then non
detergent 30 wt oil would be my choice.

Of course the best bet is to find the manufacturers recommendation.

-Roger