Re: Compressor oil

To: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Compressor oil
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:22:02 -0500
On Mar 23, 2004, at 10:01 AM, nick brearley wrote:

> At 09:06 23/03/04 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Lubrication requirements for different sorts of compressors are
>> different.  I wouldn't use a rotary compressor oil in a reciprocating
>> compressor I planned on keeping long.
>
> Thanks David. Would you care to give some details?

It depends on what sort of compressor you're talking about.  Most
reciprocating compressors less than about 100 HP share the same oil for
bearing lubrication as well as cylinder lube.  (Same as in a car
engine)    Many rotary compressors (and it depends on what sort of
rotary you're considering) have separate oil supplies for the bearings
and such of the shafts and for the air chambers.  Many of these use the
air oil as a coolant, as well.  Much of the oil in these compressors is
recovered in separators and aftercoolers, but oil consumption is still
many (10 or more) times higher than a typical reciprocator.

Different jobs will mean different base stocks, different viscosity
indices, and very different additive packages.
There are any number of reciprocating air compressor oils that are
widely available.  I'd use one of them if the manufacturer's
requirements aren't known.