Re: meek MIG melting aluminum?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: meek MIG melting aluminum?
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:52:47 EST
The master of lists writes:

> Am I just being silly thinking such a low output box could weld on aluminum
>  panels in the 0.050 - 0.100 inch range?
-------------------------------------
It has been my experience that power is a factor secondary to materials
(wire, gas and wire liners) to cleanliness of the material to be welded and
technique.

I am sure that your welder could handle aluminum given proper operator
experience and equipment prep (hint; replacement of wire liner and the use of
proper
gas...argon I think).

So far as technique: Be prepared to practice.

Preferably on scrap material.

Bart Holden