Re: Tool inventory

To: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool inventory
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:16:41 -0600
Wayne,
first thing I did was take a very very slow walk thru my shop with a video
camera... pulled out every drawer, opened every box and cabinet... and
talked my way thru the tour...  "... nine piece Craftsman combination wrench
set from 1/4 to 7/8"...  Sterrett Digital Caliper No...   Porter Cable Recip
saw."  you get the picture...  then I used excel and listed every item...
took weeks...  I also estimated the purchase date and price... most big
stuff I have receipts for.   It doesn't really matter what it cost ...they
are only going to give you what it's worth today...and you''ll probably have
to fight for that !!   I also added an additional 20K on my homeowners
policy to pay for 'stuff' in the shop, including truck parts not yet
installed.   I keep the video tape and the disk with the list in the safety
deposit box at the bank...

one thing... it's hard to remember to update it... Used to do it when the
homeowners insurance came due... but I seem to be slipping there sometimes
also...  If you're like me.. plan on a loooonnnggg weekend to make a start
and work on it for several afternoons after that... don't forget the tools
in the truck, car, house..etc..

john