Re: Prednisone & poison oak, (was Fun with my new toy, errrr,

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Prednisone & poison oak, (was Fun with my new toy, errrr,
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:30:33 -0800
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 06:41:17PM -0800, Randall Young wrote:

> > I just finished up a course of Prednisone (a steriod) after
> > getting poison oak from cleaning and sharpening my chain saw.
>
> Careful with that Prednisone !  What the MDs don't tell you is ... it can
> cause diabetes !  Not to mention lots of other side effects, like weight
> gain and Cushing's syndrome (which makes you look like you have Down's
> syndrome).

Ick.  Do you have a link for those?  A quick search
didn't turn up those side effects. (I did see
that its often used for a year or more for transplant
patients.  Aiee!  The two times I've taken it have
been for a week).

It also messes with my head, making me either
happier than usual or depressed.
I don't like taking it, which is why I was warning
the OP to be careful.

> All things considered, I'd rather let the poison oak/ivy run it's course.

as would I, except when it becomes systemic and it's
been going on for weeks.   At that point
it's the lesser of two evils.

> BTW there's an over-the-counter product that I didn't know about for a long
> time that seems to work very well if you know you've been exposed to poison
> oak/ivy.  It's called "Tecnu", and it's basically a soap that will dissolve
> the essential oil that causes the reaction (urushiol).  Buy it at Wal-Mart
> (although you may have to ask several people before anyone knows what it
> is).  It's best used after exposure but before the rash starts, but even if
> you wait until you feel that first tell-tale itch, it still works pretty
> good.

For me it's only good for cleaning up the oils; it doesn't do anything
to the rash itself.  (and you don't have to go to satan-mart to
get it, at least not around here.  It's at the local hardware
store and drugstore).

Technu also makes a blocking lotion that you apply before
you do something that might get you into posion oak.

Another good product for getting the oils off is 'zanfel' which
is a technu-type cream that also contains abrasives.

While we're on the topic, any suggestions for cleaning
off the chainsaw?  I could use technu for something simple
like an axe, but I don't think it'll get the urushiol oils
out of the chain.

Eric