Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:24:01 -0800
><Snip>
>
>the high bidder (you get what you pay for) for the bathroom remodel
>provided a leaking shower.  his expensive replacement (to fix the rotted
>subfloor from the leaky shower) managed to replace the floor so that a
>three-foot section wasn't level, and his tile guy couldn't/wouldn't
>attempt a shower repair.  *his* replacement was a 'handyman' old enough to
>be my grandfather.  he bidded low fixed it, for what worked out to be
>something like slightly above minimum wage per hour.  anymore, if I'm
>paying for you to screw me over (and this must be assumed, at least
>locally), I'm paying as little as possible.
<Snip>
I'm afraid the building contractors have a big advantage over the
homeowner.  They know who does the kind of work that keeps 'em in
business.  And they work with each other.  I'm not an expert on this but I
understand the best contractors use the best subs and they take care of
each other.  They've plenty of work and they're paid what they're
worth.  And if they do quality work, they end up working on high end
projects.  As a homeowner, there's a higher probability you're getting the
people who are marginal.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA.