Re: 220V compressor wiring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 220V compressor wiring
From: wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:25:38 -0500
At 08:53 PM 11/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm building and wiring a new garage.  I currently have a 110V compressor,
>but will eventually upgrade to something bigger.  I want to have the
>wiring in place for it before the walls make it tough.  For the "standard"
>single stage or dual stage compressors, do I need a 220-15A, 20A, or
>30A?  Is there a standard  plug receptacle that I should put in now?

I think this is all to code;  sure someone will correct me if not:

Run a dedicated circuit with 10-3 wire -- double check me on the gauge, but
that should be good for up to 30A.  You can start out with a lower current
single-pole breaker and matching outlet for your current compressor (the
2nd hot wire will be unused.)  Later you can upgrade the breaker & outlet
pair to a matching higher current 1 or 2 pole setup.

There's a standard plug & receptacle for each voltage / current combo, and
usually also a "twist & lock" version of each.  I used the twist & lock --
it gives me a nice big plug to grab onto with my fingers a comfortable
distance back.

   -wayne