Re: VolksAir

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Subject: Re: VolksAir
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:46:19 -0800
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:38:48AM -0500, Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> I have a relatively small home shop, so space is a consideration and a
> compressor with an 80 gal tank has a large footprint and takes up
> considerable space.  With this VolksAir unit, I am not concerned about space
> limitations, since I can keep it outside... which also means the noise of
> the compressor is outside.

You could keep any compressor outside.

> As Bill mentioned, moisture in the air is probably going to be a concern,
> but HF and others sell those moisture filter and regulator units relatively
> inexpensively.

Why would the volks produce more moisture than a real compressor?

> Here is some more info as I just spoke with the guy at Dunn-Right about his
> kit.  Standard kit is a little more than $300 to convert the VW engine into
> a compressor.  You get 58CFM @ 100PSI... he says that many of his clients
> use these compressors for mobil sand blasting rigs, they mount the engine
> right to a small towable trailer.  If someone is trying to do the math on
> how they got two cylinders of a Beetle to pump out 58CFM, it is because the
> new cam has two lift points each separated by 180 degrees... effectively
> making the compressor bank of cylinders a 2 stroke setup.

That's a good idea, as long as you don't want to run at very high rpms
(you'll get valve float).  Of course lower rpms means less noise.

But I'm not sure that it's all that good a deal unless you
have a VW engine sitting around and lots of free time.

Of course if the reason is that its fun to do, then that
outweighs minor considerations like cost-effectiveness.  :-)

Eric