Re: HF Welding helmuts?

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: HF Welding helmuts?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:32:49 -0800
On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:27:21AM -0500, Don Malling wrote:

> The question is quality/reliability of the lens -- these are my eyes
> we're talking about...
>
> The helmets....
>
>   http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47277
>
> The one above darkens in .00004 secs. The one below darkens in .0001. Do
> I care about the difference? I will not be welding every day -- several
> times a year, although there could be some big projects in there. Sills
> and floors on my MGB (not with this AC 225) and a car trailer.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47996

For an extra $10 you get faster response and an external
adjustment (with a big knob you can turn with gloves on).
No question I'd choose the better one... in fact if I welded
more than the couple times a year I do now, I'd get that one
to replace my 5 year old old auto-darkening helmet.

A couple times when I've been doing a lot of welding on
a project my eyes have hurt afterwards.  I think its cause
my helmet doens't respond very fast (and once I had
it adjusted to 10 instead of 12 for mig welding).

Eric