MB SLR Speed!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: MB SLR Speed!
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:24:02 EDT
My boss is completely in love with the new Mercedes SLR McLaren and he is
convinced it will go over 200 MPH.  Maybe it will, but I was wondering what the
reality of doing 200 MPH on the street is.  I was just at an IRL race at
Nazareth Speedway, and the Indy cars were doing about 173 MPH in the
qualifiers.
Why don't they just buy new SLRs and race them if they are faster?!?!

It would seem to me that any street tires would have trouble handling the
weight of a street car at those kind of speeds, and the every problematic
"valve
bounce" would rear its ugly head.  Can any speed record vehicle do that on
pump gas?

Any comments from speed freaks out there?  Is Keith Turk on this list?

Allen Hefner
'75 MG Midget (Parts or Project)
'99 Ford Contour SE Sport (2.5L 24v V6)
My Mom's '85 Toyota Tercel is also in the driveway