RE: F150 starter

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: F150 starter
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:40:11 -0500
One thing that I found useful when chasing starter problems on my Mustang
was a set of jumper cables.
This lets you check the starter and battery, while bypassing the stock wiring.
Turned out that my problem was a bad ground to the starter.  It was an
intermittent problem that started after I had done a trans/clutch swap and
I guess that the surfaces had enough corrosion to cause ground problems.
I have never been a fan of using the vehicle itself for grounding anyway,
give me nice pieces of copper.
In  my experience with electronics, bad ground is a major culprit in problems.
Good luck.

Matt