Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:04:14 -0500
Thanks for all the replies about torches.
I think I will wait and check the pawn shops this week and some local
welding shops.
First off I am planning on getting large bottles, I had just stated in one
post that if I used the torches much I would buy a good set and use the
cheap ones with small bottles for junkyard work.
My biggest problem with getting the large bottles (or any bottles)  is that
I need the torch at my folks house (where the mustang is), but then I will
be moving them 300 miles.  Not only do I have to move these bombs, but then
I have the problem of getting them refilled by another company, which can
be a pain.
Oh well worst case scenario, I just use them until they run out, and get
new ones from a local supplier, then just bring the empties back to Chicago
when I visit the folks. Or maybe I'll just buy some bottles down home and
bring them back up to the folks with me.

One thing I can add about bottle certification is I was told that there are
different requirements for commercial and personal bottles.
I had some 20lb C02 bottles that I bought new and they were good for 5
years for me, but if my supplier had owned them then he would only have to
inspect them every 10 years, the theory being that a gas supplier would
take better care/notice problems more often, I guess.
I would also like to get aluminum/newer steel bottles, the older the bottle
(steel) the heavier it is.  I have seen some bottles still in service that
were manufactured in 1943.  These suckers were heavy, 150-200lbs empty,
while a newer steel bottle was closer to 100lbs and an aluminum bottle was
60-80lbs or so.  Makes a hell of a difference when handling them, the
older/heavier bottles could really do a trick on your back.
These were all 60lb nitrous/c02 bottles.
Can you even get aluminum acetylene bottles?

More questions to follow.

Thanks,

Matt