Re: Dimensional wood weights

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Dimensional wood weights
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:26:07 -0700
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 03:12:18PM -0700, Wayne Farrington wrote:

> Anyone know of an online source to determine the approximate weight of
> dimensional wood? Like a site that would allow you to enter say 2x12x10'
> pressure treated lumber and have it return an approximate weight. Or even a
> site that would give me the per foot weight. I've found some sites that will
> give log weights but nothing that will provide the weight of conventional
> dimensional lumber.

Probably because it depends greatly on the growig conditions, genetics,
species and dryness.
(although you could probably assume a given density for "fir"
and you won't be more than 10-20% off due to growing conditions,
genetics or the different fir species)

The lumber I get at Home Despot is usually very heavy because it's not
dried very well.  It's like 50% heavier than well-dried lumber.

You could always figure it out from the log weight, but that will
be undried weight.

If you are doing this for engineering a structure, there should
be standard assumed values for engineering.  I don't know them either.

Eric