longterm vehicle storage procedures

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: longterm vehicle storage procedures
From: justin acome <acome@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 09:46:21 -0700
Hello everyone -

A while back I sent around a question about a turn signal for a 1987 VW
Cabriolet.  Thanks for all the responses - it turns out that the hazards and
turn signals DO use the same flasher.  There is a wire from the directional
switch (on the column) to the hazards switch (on the dash) that was
disconnected while the incompetents at Circuit City were installing a stereo.
As a side note, they messed up a lot of other things, so (although I'm sure
none of us subscribers to this listserve would let someone else do something as
simple as install a stereo) I highly recommend against going to Circuit City -
even if installation comes with the purchase.

My question this time, though, is regarding a Ford Ranger that I want to take
off the road and park in my garage indefinitely.  Is there anything special I
should do?  It will be inside a steel garage (that is not regularly heated) in
upstate New York.  Should I drain fluids?  Someone told me I should block the
clutch pedal down so the friction plates don't rust together.  What about
brakes?  Should I put it up on jackstands to relax the suspension?  Any advice
on this matter would be very much appreciated.  Thanks again.

Justin