Floor jacks info

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor jacks info
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 04:21:27 -0500
I couple of weeks ago i asked about floor jacks.  Below is some of the
information that I found out and my opinion about floor jacks.

I was just in the market for a floor jack.  I wanted a decent one, not
made in China.  The Chinese jacks will leak fluid in a couple of
months.  This is what I found available in mid-range ($200 to $300)
jacks.  The first two jacks are made in Denmark of all places.

Compac jacks make a high quality jack in for about $260.  The only
place a I found that sells them is a company in Tamapa, FL.  Compac
makes a 1.5 ton jack.  The unit weights ~84 pounds, and the saddle
height is 4.5 inches.  The one supplier that I found for Compac jacks is
Tri-City Hydraulics.  They are in Tampa, FL and the number is
813-236-8551.   The Compac web site is http://www.compac.dk/start2.htm

The second company is AC Hydraulic, also a Danish company.  They sells
2.2 ton jack. The unit weights ~64 pounds, and the saddle height is 3.1
inches.

http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/uk/products_ws.htm
http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html

The third jack is a Chinese made Norco that is supposed to be a
quality jack.  Check out http://www.hyjacks.com/ of a discussion of
Norco jacks and quality.

I think that about covers mid-range jacks for the home enthusiast.  I
currently have a hi-lift jack, that lifts to 31 inches.  That is a
Northern Tool Chinese made jack.  Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it
does not.  It is big and heavy.  If I was to purchase that jack again
I would go for an AC DK13HLQ and pay the 3 bills.  The second jack
that I have is a regular AC DK20 and it works great.   I feel that a
cheaply made jack is a cheaply made jack, and this is not a place I
want to skimp.  Even with the rave reviews that you guys are giving that
HF racing jack I still would either purchase a Compac or an AC.  The cost
is reasonable and the product is well made.  When AC discontinues a
product they keep parts in stock for 15 years, so if you need to
rebuild your jack that will not be a problem.  Try finding a seal kit
for Chinese made jack.  You can't.

The reason I went with an AC over a Compac was that I could get the AC
jack locally and avoid paying shipping.  If I had to have them shipped
I think I would have purchased the Compac.  JM2C.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net