Re: Tools Brands

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tools Brands
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:58:08 -0600
Some Snap-on tools really are great quality, but as Kai said, shop around.
The recent Snap-ons I've bought haven't been all that great.  But the
Snap-on brand Pozidriv screwdrivers I have are the best I've found.

Look at the Snapon "financing" policy and you'll see why the tools are so
expensive.  They charge exactly 0.0% interest!  You can stretch out your
payments over as many years as you want; no interest.  A friend of mine is a
Snapon dealer.  He just drops by to see his 'regular' customers every week
(on the day each one gets paid) and collects a few dollars to put toward
each account.

So the problem for us cash customers is that we're paying the same interest
rate as the 'financed' customers.

I talked my dealer/friend into selling me a Blue Point tool box for about
2/3 of the asking price.  He was able to do it for me because I paid him
with a stack of crisp $100 bills, and so it didn't show up on his check
register and he could just call it a purchase for his personal use.  But I
then found a *very* similar Kobalt box at Lowe's for even less.

-Lee