RE: Pouring a garage floor

To: LBC286@aol.com, ken.landaiche@nokia.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pouring a garage floor
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:23:29 -0600
With only 4" of concrete, rebar will not be a huge advantage over mesh. Rebar
wired together into a 6"-12" grid is appropriate.

Remember, concrete is simply a form of composite construction. The cement hold
together the hard and brittle rocks. A steel reinforcement holds together
larger pieces. Cement/concrete has great compressive strength but it is
brittle. The rebar or mesh, when it is put into the lower half of the concrete,
puts much of the concrete into compression, which makes for a stronger floor.

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX