Re: Bathroom repairs -grout removal

To: Preston and Betti Ann Smith <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Bathroom repairs -grout removal
From: Roger <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:09:03 -0800
Regarding a tool for grout removal:

I have used the hand held carbide grit tool - it works, but takes a lot of elbow
grease and I would not
do more than a few tiles with it.

The best tool that I have found is relatively expensive.  The Fein multi-master
tool.  Look it up at
Amazon.com.  It is a unique type of tool, very useful for certain, selected
jobs.

The tool is in the $150+ range.  And a thin, diamond blade is on the order of
$30 to $50.  The gout
removal diamond blade is a little bit too thick for the old (1930's) style of
very thin grout lines, but
works very well on grout lines 3/16 and wider.

It is an expensive tool and I held off for years, but eventually did buy one and
I find it very useful
for certain, selected jobs.

You have to decide on the cost/benefit for you.

-Roger