Planning ahead- running power to the garage

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Planning ahead- running power to the garage
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:23:53 -0500
Greetings all,

I need to run new electrical service to the detached garage sometime in the
near future (this spring?).  Up until recently it was powered by the
original knob and tube wires simply strung from the house to the garage
(about 100 feet) with no guy wires and running through the branches of a
nice big oak tree.  Big sections of insulation missing too.  Needless to
say, disconnecting that was one of the first things I did after buying the
house.

Anyway, since I'll have to run the electric through a trench, I was
wondering what else might be useful to put in there before its covered up.
My thoughts are (aside from the 60 amp 220 service and a sub panel in the
garage):

1. A 3/4" or so conduit for pulling phone, network and coax (or anything
else low voltage)
2. Maybe a cold water branch and then put one of those on demand hot water
heaters out there
3. I could see how a gas line out there might come in handy, so how about
one of those?  A heater would be nice.
4. What about running an air line back to the house?  Can't really think of
why I'd need it at the moment, but what the heck?  Might come in handy if I
decide to mount the compressor up in the loft and can no longer move it
easily.
5. Thought about running beer lines from the keg system, but I think its a
bit too far.

Anything else?  Any of these problematic or just a bad idea?

Any good ideas for making the perfect garage / workshop?  It isn't too
terribly big, but is a nice size 1 car garage with room for a big workbench,
some storage (plus a loft) and a LBC.

Thanks!
-aric.