Re: co2 vs. nitrogen?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: co2 vs. nitrogen?
From: "Steve Dillen" <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:55:28 -0700
An off road board I pay a bit of attention to had a number of discussions
recently about onboard compressed air, and the merits of an onboard
compressor system versus a CO2 tank/regulator system.  The general thoughts
were. . .

1.    Powertanks work well for reseating beads on tires on the trail, you
need a lot of reserve volume to reseat a tire with an onboard compressor
system.
2.    Powertanks work well for inflating 1 set of 38" tires after running at
low pressure on the trail.  If you're filling up everyone else's tires as
well, you need a compressor.
3.    If you're running any air tools, a compressor is the best alternative.
4.    Powertanks are portable. . .a big plus.  Compressors have unlimited
volume on the trail. . .

Overall, it seems that cost of either system is about the same. . .it's more
a question of how much room you have to store the tank and how much air you
really need.

I built my onboard system using an AC compressor from an old ford ($45 from
a junk yard), an air brake reservoir tank from a trailer (abound 4 gallons,
$40 from the local Kenworth distributor), a pressure cutoff switch,
miscellaneous plumbing/electrical/filters ($40 from the local Princess
Auto).  Mounting the compressor is the hardest part.  You need to wire the
A/C clutch into your pressure switch to cycle the compressor at 80-120 psi.
If you have a blown R12 A/C system that you're not planning on fixing, you
already have all the hard work done -- you just need to mount the tank and
plumb it in.

At engine idle, it takes about a minute and a half to run the tank up to
120psi.

Lots of articles out there on the net describing what people have built. .
.google 'onboard air'. . .

Steve Dillen