Re: On the subject of oil disasters

To: "Tim Osborne" <timos@microsoft.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On the subject of oil disasters
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:30:01 -0500
Many industrial suppliers sell oil absorbing sheets made of polypropylene
microfiber. This material repels water but it greedily absorbs many times
its own weight in oil. It's also effective on gasoline and other
petrochemicals. You don't have to sweep up any granules or breath kitty
litter dust when you use it. I even use it to "dry" the oil off my hands
while I'm working- it does a better job than a shop rag. Occasionally some
of the white fibers will stick to the floor. I keep an 18"x36"x1/4" sheet
in my Triumph in case I have to perform a messy field repair.

Disclosure: Our firm sells this material under the trade name PolySorb. We
only sell case lots to industrial users. I won't profit directly if you go
out and buy some, but I'm not unbiased either.

At 10:00 AM 10/22/2002 -0700, Tim Osborne wrote:

>What's the list consensus on the best products to mop up an engine oil
>"accident"?  "Kitty litter" style stuff or emulsifying chemicals or
>what?  Something that doesn't require a water hose is appreciated.

Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com