Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:06:43 -0700
On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 06:52:00PM -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Don Malling wrote:
> > ===========
> > I'm looking at Mig welders and trying to decide if I need one with
> > infinitely adjustable heat controls or whether the ones with 4 settings
> > are good enough.
>
>    I haven't suffered with only four.
>
>    I guess to really use the infinite heat control, you'd have to have
> the expertise to recognize where a tiny increment or decrement of heat
> would make the difference.
>
>    Maybe I'm just not there. ;>

Me either.

I think that practice makes a lot more difference than heat settings.

>    Consider starting with a booth big enough to hold the stuff you want
> to blast, and go from there. A water trap will be essential or you will
> mostly be spraying mud, but the cheap ones work.

If you don't get an enclosure, you will need to make something
to keep the sand and dust from going everywhere.  And you
will need to make or buy something to let you breathe clean air.

Having sand blasted motorcycle parts in a home made "booth"
using a too-small compressor and a siphon gun, I can state
with authority that its a dumb, frustrating waste of time to do this.
Well, your parts will eventually get clean, it'll just take forever
and you will hate it and be coughing up shit for a week
even if you wore a breathing mask.

If it were me, I'd buy a cabinet for blasting the little stuff
and find another way to clean things that didn't fit in the cabinet.

Eric