RE: Multiple 220v outlets

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Multiple 220v outlets
From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:22:07 -0700
There's also the practical consideration that 110 outlets generally have
the second set of terminals to make it easy to daisy chain them.  I've
never seen a 220 outlet with those.  That means you'll need to use wire
nuts.  Three big wire nuts, some fat wire, and a 220 outlet get too big
for the box pretty soon, so you'll need extra deep boxes, or a box
extender, and then after all that you're not equipped properly if you
ever need to weld something while the table saw is running and the
compressor kicks in.  <g>

With separate circuits, you also get to put the right breaker on each
circuit.  I have 2 tools that are 220 but not hardwired -- a 15 amp
table saw and a 50 amp welder.  The plugs are different, so I'd have to
either put a 15 amp outlet on a 50 amp breaker (which is bad) or have my
welder pop the 15 amp breaker constantly.  Each outlet has its own
correct size breaker now.

The separate panel is a fine idea.