Re: Speaking of exhausts...

To: conrad davis <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of exhausts...
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:48:26 -0700
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:04:21PM +0100, conrad davis wrote:

> Well, the genny is in a full acoustic case (Honda EX4000s - great
> machine), and the hydraulic pack is just for when I need to operate one
> of the lifts (both converted from electric to hydraulic) so I can live
> with the noise of that in short bursts. It does look like the silencer
> (great big thing) on the genny has a threaded outlet.

I've run my Honda generator in the garage next to a garage door
that's open to generator height.  Keeps the generator out
of the rain, and with a window open for cross breeze,
keeps the garage relatively free of fumes.  My garage
is attached but there's two doors between it and the house.

> > Probably the best place for this would be
> > next to the transfer
> > switch (you will have a transfer switch, right?).
>
> Oh yes of course. [cough] whats one of them then?

It's a box with a set of switches that lets you disconnect
parts of your circuit from the mains and connect them
to the generator.  You really really want to be sure that
you don't try to power the mains with your generator.
The power company people hate it when the folks they send out
to work on the wires get zapped.

Also, your generator will have either two or three seperate
circuits.  You're supposed to balance the load on them.
I set up my generator so one powers a couple house light circuits, and the
other runs the refrigerator and fan for the house heat.
You must use all circuits to get the rated capacity.
My generator is a non-enclosed 5500, so yours is probably similar.

Using the transfer switch makes this all very easy to do.
My house has the breaker panel in the house, so I would have to
run the output from the generator there and hook the
transfer switch up there.  Which is why I haven't done it.
What I do instead is switch off from the mains
at the main breaker, run a double-male "death cord" from the generator
in the garge to an outlet in the garage, and then use the
breaker panel to connect the light circuits I want on.  The
fridge and heat get extension cords to the generator.

Where I live the power goes out about 20-40 times a year, but most of
those are for a few hours or overnight.  For those we don't bother running
the genrator, Coleman lanterns suffice.  We didnt' get a >day outage
last year at all, and have had only one or two a year in most years.

Eric