Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:31:56 -0500
I have the Bellsouth DSL. Been on it for about 9 months. Very pleased
overall. Have had a couple of outages that were fixed promptly, but no
worse than the dialup isp I used for 4 yrs. (Earthlink)

Bellsouth was offering a free modem in the past few weeks. When I got mine
the modem was $75. Paid for the modem on my phone bill in 4 installments.
It's a 3Com ADSL internal modem, was easy to install. Just plug n play.
Bellsouth is $45 per month as long as you have at least one of the phone
co. extra services like call waiting etc. $49 if you don't have any extras
on the phone. For the price you get 5? (I think) mailbox addresses and 10MB
web space

I will never go back to dialup. The speed is no comparision. Here is a good
site to check your actual download/upload speed (not what your connection
icon says you have).

<http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=1>

Just click on the start button in the middle.

My connection for downloads measured 1198 kbps and uploads was 217 kpps. So
download is 21X faster than a 56K dialup modem on downloads and close to 4X
faster on uploads. Anything over the 1Mbit range is pretty fast. This was
at 9:15 pm central. A peak time. During off peaks it will hit 1300 kbps and
220 kbps. This is on an indicated connection of 1472 kbps down and 256 kbps
up.

My brother has a cable modem (Charter Cable). His downloads average
~700kbps and uploads are around 220 kbps. But it does slow down more than
mine during peak times. Cable does have the one advantage of no distance
limit. Bellsouth told me that you have to be within 18,000 feet of a switch
box for their dsl to work. You can go to their site and find out by putting
in your phone #.
<http://www.bellsouth.net/>

Later,

David Cole