Re: Ordered a parts washer

To: LBC286@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ordered a parts washer
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:26:38 -0700
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 04:07:04PM -0400, LBC286@aol.com wrote:

> OK.  I ordered the $69 parts washer from Homier.com.  It was shipped from
> them yesterday so I should have it in my garage shortly.  This is a 20 gal.
> tank.  I'm happy.

[..]

> It doesn't say on the Homier web site, but I am expecting that this parts
> washer is intended for solvent based cleaning solutions.  There are other,
> more expensive washers that recommend aqueous cleaners.  Can I use an aqueous
> solution in mine without destroying the pump?  I can get Crystal Simple Green
> or Zep Industrial purple cleaner for a lot less than Super Agitene.  (A 5
> gal. pail of Zep concentrate is only $28 at Home Depot.)

I had Simple Green in my Harbor Fright 20 gal washer, and it
made the paint on the inside come off in sheets, the pump stopped
working and the inside of the lid started corroding.

I wouldn't put SG in a parts washer again.

My parts washer is sitting out in the barn providing a home
for spiders, but when I set it up again, I'll use something
that's made for parts washers and has a rust-preventative
as well.  Sucks to get a steel part all clean only to have it
rust up the next day.

Eric