Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard

To: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Subject: Re: Posts-Like big sticks in the yard
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:20:07 -0700
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 07:00:24PM -0500, dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, John Viviani wrote:
>
> > problem is the stairs/deck that they had for this thing had 4x4 posts to
> > support it. Placed in the ground with cement. I guessing no more than 18
> > inches, that is where the mountain begins and the dirt ends (who the hell
> > put western VA on a mountain). Anyone have any easy ways to get these things
> > out. I only have a 1/2 acre so no tractors etc, the wife mows (I have
>
> You could use an oxy-acetelene torch bomb, and blow them out!

Yea!  Cool!

> I'd be tempted to just dig them out iwth a shovel.  If you don't really need
> to get the concrete out  (and if you're just puttting grass there, you don't)
> you can dig down a foot or so, cut the post off, and fill the hole in.

If the concrete is very much under ground level, you wouldn't be
able to push them over with a tractor anyhow.  Unless you dug them
out partway.  If the concrete pilings are short and close to the surface,
you could possibly use a tractor or another vehicle to knock them over.
However, using a chain or cable to pull them down is somewhat dangerous
and risky to the vehicle.  If the concrete part is short enough to
do that, it's also not that much work to dig out one side and
push them over by hand.

Eric, list maniac.