RE: static shock

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: static shock
From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:46:41 -0700
I think the shock is because your body ends up at a different voltage
than the car itself.  Grounding the car may not help.  I think it's your
shoes rubbing across the nylon floor mats as you work the pedals.  Do
you get shocked less when you ride shotgun than when you drive?  Have
you tried removing the carpeted floor mats and letting your feet slide
across the rubber that's often built into the permanent carpet?

My wife's old Proteg e (misspelled so it still goes as plaintext) had a
little spot next to the door lock tab that must have been tied to the
chassis through a resistor.  If you touched it for a second on the way
out, you didn't feel a shock, but then the door didn't shock you.  I
wish more cars came that way.  You could always try a static wrist or
ankle strap <g>.