Re: tractor rec's

To: Paul F Mele <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Subject: Re: tractor rec's
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:11:53 -0800
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:51:26PM -0500, Paul F Mele wrote:

> Just bouught 20 acres out of town. solid trees.  hurricaine Fran leftovers,
> etc.
>
> I'm considering buying a used small tractor for doing hauling and pushing
> around the property over the next 25 years.  Actual clearing for house/
> shop/ etc will be left to pros.
>
> Any thoughts out there on something worthwhile (used) for around $1500 -
> 2000?

As other people mentioned, at that price range you are looking
at older American tractors.  You might be able to find a very
used Japanese tractor that needs something-- just a couple weeks
ago there was a Kubota 7100 for sale in that price range locally
that "needs work".  This is in Silicon Valley where everything is
expensive and old tractors are rare.

The old tractors are manual steering and manual shift.  That might
make operation more difficult or tiring if you have hilly or well-treed
land or want to do a lot of loader work.  If you're mostly plowing or mowing
then it's not a big deal.

I bought a used Kubota 7100 for my hilly well-treed 20 acres.  It's
been really useful-- I have cleared a bunch of brush with it, it powers
a big PTO driven chipper/shredder, and I use the loader and box blade to
move dirt around in the garden and orchard.  In the summer I use it to
run a rotary mower to cut weeds.  It's a small "compact" diesel tractor.

Its got a hydrostatic transmission and I'm very happy to have that.
I wish now that I'd spent more for a newer tractor with power steering
and more loader and 3pt lift capacity.

Eric