RE: compressed air system components

To: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: compressed air system components
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:33:26 -0500
ken.landaiche@nokia.com [mailto:ken.landaiche@nokia.com] wrote:

> From what I have read here, there are two alternatives to
> draining water onto the floor :); either an auto drain or
> just a valve and long hose. Is that right?

Depending on how much you use your compressor, the water on
the floor can no big deal.  I finally got around to removing
my "auto-drain" off the bottom of my tank, and adding a
T-fitting and an extension to add a ball valve.  Normal usage
(working on a car, etc.) for me and I just ignore it.  When the
pressure gets real low, the auto valve "blows down" the remaining
pressure and water on the floor.  I never notice the water - it's
not like it makes a puddle or anything.  When it's been running
a long time (like sand blasting for a couple of hours), I use the
ball valve to vent off all the water (and air) from the tank - a
lot more water, but it's still not a big mess.

I live in a very humid climate, but then again, it's only an old
2 HP (real 2 HP, it blows 15 amp breakers) compressor on a 25 Gal.
tank...

Tim Mullen