RE: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?

To: "Spector, Larry" <Larry_Spector@NAI.com>,
Subject: RE: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:05:01 -0600
At 02:32 PM 12/5/2001 -0600, Spector, Larry wrote:
So do you use a standard floor jack on your makeshift bridge? Do you jack up
the car before lifting it? I can't picture exactly how this would work.

Yes, a standard floor jack. The "plank" I use is a piece of hot rolled
steel channel _approximately_ 10" wide, 48" long, 3/16" thick, with a 1"
lip along the sides forming a very shallow U shape. I bought it from
http://www.metalsdepot.com.  The lip adds strength to the plate and acts as
a guardrail for the rolling jack I use. There's no need to jack the car up
before lifting it- I often jack up a front wheel, work on it, lower the
jack, slide the plate to the back of the car (the plate probably weighs
about 40 pounds), and then jack up the rear wheel to work on it. All of
this is done at a comfortable working height, not on the floor.  I have a
cheap import  2 ton rolling jack that I use on the lift. It's important to
have a jack with a small footprint so that it's wheels are all supported by
the plank or ramps- there's no way I could use my large 3-ton Sears garage
jack since there would be nowhere for it to 'stand'. A bottle jack would
probably work just as well but my TR6 doesn't have enough ground clearance
to use one. The plank is long enough so that several inches sit on the
ramps on either side. The ramps came with a non-slip surface from the
factory so the plank is not going to slide around once it's supporting some
weight.

-Erik
--
Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com

///