Report Back on Shrinking sheetmetal

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Report Back on Shrinking sheetmetal
From: "BOB NOGUEIRA" <nogera@Prodigy.Net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:41:09 -0500
The one thing which I don't see enough of on this list is ' Report Backs '
on suggestions so here is mine submission.
I asked last week about using a mig welder to heat sheetmetal to shrink a
stretched (oil canning) section of a bonnet.
Well I kind of pooled all the advise and did a bit of everything throwing in
a few tricks of my own.
I backed the metal with wood and  used a heavy gauge piece of sheet metal on
top of the place I wanted to heat and ' build a tight high heat bead in the
scrape piece to heat the bonnet under it.
After heating I taped down the area " lightly" and to cool,  here's my
trick, I used a keyboard Cleaning Duster. I used the can upside down so it
(tetrafluoroethane) came out as a fog and liquid.  " BOING!!!!!!   flat
panel !!!!!!
I figured the dramatic difference in temperature would respond to the old
principal of ' if a little is good a lot is better '  That stuff  cooled a
weld bead to touch in five seconds .
So thanks to all for the input. And yes I even followed the advise of
whoever it was that suggested I buy a touch . ( " Gee honey I sure could use
a nice jewelers torch, Yeah, Christmas is coming up isn't it?")
Another Thanks from a happy member
Bob Nogueira

///