Re: Trailer wiring

To: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Subject: Re: Trailer wiring
From: David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:43:09 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Madurski, Ronald M. wrote:

:
:I am having some trouble with the wiring on my trailer and was hoping for
:some pointers on where to look.  The whole trailer was recently rewired with
:new wires.
:
:There are 2 axles with brakes on each.  The brakes work just fine, but they
:come on when the headlights are on.

This rather strongly suggests they are attached to the tow vehicle's
taillight circuit.

:The side marker lights come on when the brakes are applied.

And this suggests that the marker lights are attached to the tow vehicle's
brake light circuit.  Swap these two.

:
:The turn signals work just fine, but the radio faceplate light blinks with
:the right blinkers only.
:Any suggestions?  Sound like a bad ground somewhere?

this one does sound like a bad ground.  Make sure their is a good ground
between the trailer and the towing vehicle. The hitch isn't such a ground.
Run a seperate wire.
:
:

--