Re: Slick Storage Solution.

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Slick Storage Solution.
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:24:45 -0700
Hey guys,

If you really want killer shelves, check out the local outfit that sells used
pallet (sp?)
racks - I remember mmy rig costing less than a couple of gorilla racks and it
provides
many times the space (8' tall!) and far greater weight capacity (I got engines
on mine...)

Plus they're fun to build (you can climb on 'em...) :-)

rkg
(Richard George)

Rush wrote:

> They didn't have any weight limits on the packaging which surprised me.
> But based on my in-store reconnaissance, I would call them medium duty.
> Tough enough to handle a few brake drums per shelf, but not something
> I'd throw a transmission on. Go check 'em out at your local WalMart.
> They are kinda small too.
>
> In my book, if you have heavy duty things to put on shelves, nothing
> beats the boltless ones like these
> http://warehousing.freewebsites.com/boltless/. You could go cheaper with
> homebuilt if you already have the tools for dado joints and some wood
> laying around. I costed out the boltless vs. building heavy duty shelves
> using all new wood with 2x4s, 5/8 plywood and Simpson Strong Ties and
> the cost per shelf was about the same. I use homebuilt where I have to
> fit an unusual space or height and the boltless ones everywhere else.
>
> If you go with the boltless shelves, make sure you get the riveted kind.
> You can throw one together in about 10 minutes with a rubber mallet. The
> kind with the stamped metal tabs for attaching the shelves to the
> uprights are a major pain because they never line up right and you have
> to jigger them around. I've found Home Depot to have the best prices on
> riveted boltless shelves.
>
> Jon
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
> >
> > Any idea where I can get more info on the Plano cabinets/shelves? Just as
>you say, nothing happens when you click on the icon...... I'm curious about
>the strength of their product line. I have lots of heavy car related parts to
>store.
> >
> > Retro-Rick

///