Re: Washing Oily Rags

To: Forest Majors <forest.majors@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Washing Oily Rags
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:06:35 -0700
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:48:25AM -0400, Forest Majors wrote:

> Is there a solvent or cleaning agent that should be used on oily shop rags
> before they are washed?
>
> Previously I have just thrown slightly oily rags into the washer - but I am
> reticent to put saturated rags into the home laundry with a septic system.
> Any advise would be appreciated.

When I was a teenager working on my first motorcycle, I put some oily rags
in the washing machine.  They got clean, but the inside of the washing
machine was covered in oily goo.  Mom wasn't too happy about that. :-)

I'm also on a septic system.  I use paper towels or even newspaper when
I know that I'm going to be making a big mess.  When shop towels get
too grimy for me to wipe my hands on, I demote them to oil spill duty.
When they're really gross, they're thrown out.  I don't wash anything
oily in the sink-- even air filters get cleaned out in a bucket and the
rinse water thrown on the plants that I don't like.  Cleaning the oil
out of mom's washing machine was bad enough, but cleaning the oil out
of the septic tank is too awful to contemplate.

Eric

///