Re: modern paint, old car

To: Fred Zampa <FZampa@mail.maconstate.edu>
Subject: Re: modern paint, old car
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:54:30 -0800
I've  been through this too.  I now use catalyzed polyurethane enamels,
usually from PPG since I have a supplier about a mile away!

I don't like a clear coat on an old car, it's just not right.  The polys
give a high gloss without rubbing out, but I rub them out anyway to get
rid of the orange peel and imperfections you will get with a DIY job.

Unfortunately, you will be breaking the law if you spray these finishes
in an urban area at home, not to mention annoying your neighbors.  Also,
these systems are expensive--paint is $80-$100 quart, plus catalyst,
thinner, primer, etc., so you will want to get an HVLP spray gun to
conserve paint.  You can usually find time in a professional spray booth
to rent, and that's what I'd recommend.  Check the "coffee pot bulletin
board"  that most auto body supply shops have.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///