Re: Powder-coat over enamel?

To: Lee Daniels <daniels@tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Powder-coat over enamel?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:44:20 -0800
On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:38:04PM -0600, Lee Daniels wrote:

> Is it possible to powder-coat (i.e. clearcoat) over newly-painted enamel?
> The item in question is my son's bicycle project, which has a nice new
> two-tone air-brush enamel job.  If this is possible, I assume that one
> would bake the enameled part prior to powder-coating, as one would do to
> treat bare metal.  The limited resources I have about powder-coating don't
> address this possibility.

All the powder-coating I have done has required absolutely
clean metal- not even body filler.

Powder coat works by electrostatically attracting plastic powder
to the part, then heating it to ~400 degrees f to melt the powder.
I don't think that enamel paint would work.

Next best is to use multiple layers of clear coat paint, in some
formula that's compatable with the paint that's on there.
You can rub between coats for a "deeper" finish.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5

///