Re: Getting a car into the garage.

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Getting a car into the garage.
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:27:01 -0800
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 09:51:37AM -0500, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> There has been occasions where I would like to get a non running car
> into the garage.  Unfortunately, there is an slight uphill grade and I
> can't push it in by myself.  I could push with another vehicle, but I
> don't like this option.  One thought would be to strategical place large
> eyebolts into the garage floor and use a comealong to tow the car in.
> Any thoughts, warnings, alternatives, etc.?
>
> Peter Thomas

I can't find the URL, but I've seen pics on the net of some guy's
pole barn shop.  While pouring the slab, he embedded a chunk 'o metal
which is intended to be an anchor point for a comealong, so he can winch
dead tractors into the shop.

It was a box of angle iron with some ~1 foot hunks of rebar welded to it
and a loop inside the angle iron.  I think it's an awesome idea.  But,
since you'd be operating the comealong either right at the vehicle or at
the anchor, you'd be right in the way if it let go.  If I ever do this
(and I probably will as all my shop options involve an uphill grade),
I'm going to over-engineer the hell out of it.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5

///