cleaning/shining vinyl ???

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: cleaning/shining vinyl ???
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:35:04 -0500
the ravages of nature and my sprinkler system have done in my front porch
posts and railings.  Since I hated painting them anyway, I'm replacing the
whole mess with vinyl picket fence sections and pressure treated 4x4 posts
inserted into vinyl 5x5 fence posts..now the problem...

the posts were purchased from the local Lowe's Home Improvement Store and
due to handling/storage/typical employee care ...the posts are scratched in
places and generally dull in finish... the manufacturer does not recommend
painting due to the non porous surface..so I'm looking for something else
to pretty them up... buffing ???  polishing ???

can anyone suggest a way to brighten them up...  maybe  sand with fine auto
paper and polish with auto polish ???     all suggestions are welcome and
appreciated..

john